Thursday, July 12

Holy Guacamole?

{This is completely irrelevant to the topic of this post, but I got on today to find that I've surpassed 150 followers! Thank you guys for being such fantastic readers, you're the best!}

I love avocados. They were on sale this week so I figured I'd take advantage of it by making some guacamole. If you've never made it from scratch, stop buying the pre-packaged stuff from the store. The homemade stuff is amazing and super easy to put together. 

I always use the same recipe, I found it some time ago on Allrecipes.

What you need:
  • 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
Mix together mashed avocados, lime juice, and salt, and then mix in the rest. If you stick it in the fridge for an hour the flavor will come together better, but it can be served as is. And if you're like me and you like your guac chunky, dice the avocados instead of mashing them. 

Also, a trick I learned: keep an avocado seed and stick it in the finished product if you plan on storing it for a while--it'll keep it from browning. :)