Monday, July 9

Birds on a Wire

Remember when I did that Mustache Mug DIY back in May? I only used a tiny fraction of the glass/porcelain-safe enamel paint that I purchased, so I've been on the hunt for more mugs to decorate. Luckily I found this lovely white mug at the thrift store for only 20 cents the other day!

 I sketched out my design with a skinny Sharpie and then painted it on. The paint I used can either been left to dry for 1 hour and then cured by placing in the oven at 350 degrees, or will cure on its own if left to dry on its own for 21 days. Pretty simple!
I also painted the bottom black, thought it would be a nice touch. :) I love this mug because it's the perfect size and shape for non-drink contents as well. I'll be able to use it next semester to contain ice cream or afternoon snacks. Yay for functionality!

Note: Apparently using a Sharpie also works as an easier alternative. I have seen projects where you just draw on the design and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. However, Sharpie is not permanent--it should be fine if you hand wash your piece, but make sure not to put any Sharpie-drawn projects into the dishwasher, as it will wear off!