Saturday, September 8

Downsizing [Refashioning for Kids]

A while ago I received a comment on my Facebook page asking about refashioning adult clothing for kids. It just so happens that I have a kid sister and several skirts from Forever 21 that I deem far too short for their intended consumers. So I decided to do a bit of quick refashioning, because they're doing no good just sitting in my closet. 

This is a super easy alteration that you can do in 5 minutes. Maybe even less. Here's what I started with: 


Just a simple knit ruffle skirt. No zippers, no pleats, nothing. So all I had to do was flip it inside out and sew along one edge: 


This is what it turned out like:


This is fantastic because you can take out the stitch and adjust it as the child grows. And it's a great way to incorporate some styles into a child's wardrobe that you may not be able to find in the children's section!

I got this skirt from Goodwill for $3.50. I think it's adorable. It's just too short for my taste. So I'm glad to have found a good use for it. :) 

And obviously, this doesn't have to be used to alter things for kids. You might have a knit skirt that just needs to be taken in for your own sake!

 I also altered another skirt using a slightly different process, so I'll share that soon!